Sunday, March 23, 2014

Mawwaige

My weeks are usually quite boring.  I work at a job that is a bit under stimulating and sometimes quite aggravating.  Due to his fact, I tend to shy away from writing about my days here.  I really don't want this blog to become a bitch-fest, though I reserve the right do just that on occasion, should a topic warrant it.  My evenings usually find me haunting my apartment with my cat, watching TV or movies, or playing video games (and much to my chagrin, too often nodding off on the sofa right after eating dinner).  That is, unless I make plans to do otherwise.

I suppose, I shall once more regale you with the happenings of my weekend.  If you'll remember, in my last post, I wrote about the bachelor party for my friend.  If you don't remember, or haven't read it, go on back and do so... we'll wait...

Need more time?
Well, this past Saturday was the big day!  I spent the morning getting ready, I had to buy a card and pick up the gift.  Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to find my black tie or slacks (probably in storage), so I had to buy them as well.  I made a mental note of the pants size of my jeans before I left on my shopping trip, with the intent of just grabbing a pair off the rack and saving myself some time by not trying them on.  Luckily, while in the store, I had the nagging hunch to try them on... they wound up being a size too small.  I had a feeling that was going to be the case as soon as I had gotten into the changing room and saw myself in the full length mirror.

Maybe this will inspire me to workout more.
Last year, I had injured my knee.  No sooner did it get back up to snuff, my leg went through a serious trauma, then Winter had settled in with the laziness and indulgence that often accompany it, etc. etc. etc.  View them as reasons or as excuses, I won't argue either.  Long story short (too late!) I got fat.  But, I digress...

I had gotten myself around, shaved, showered, and dressed.  Earlier in the week, I had posed a query to my friends in Facebook as to whether or not I should wax and curl my mustache for the occasion.  The response was a resounding "Yes!".  The notion was further supported from a text I had received from the groom, on Friday night, encouraging me to do so.  Apparently, the bride's father was planning on doing the same thing, along with one or two others in attendance.  So, the mustache was waxed and curled.
A little late in the evening.
 The venue for the wedding was a nice little B&B about 40 minutes from where I live.  Both the wedding and the reception were held in an old barn, that had been repurposed for just such events.  It was actually quite lovely, decorated with white lights.  The guests were greeted by live strings, which played through (pausing for the wedding, itself) until the hors d'oeuvres were served, it was very elegant.

The groom and his men looked very handsome, the bride and her ladies were all lovely, and the wedding ceremony was beautiful, with its mix of humor and apparent love that they share with one another.  After the ceremony, while the wedding party ran the gamut of photos, the guests enjoyed hors d'oeuvres and located their assigned tables for dinner.  Soon after, the music switched over to a playlist of the bride's design, and she did a fantastic job with her choices.  Several people requested a copy of her playlist.

I had gone to the wedding stag, as I have yet to sucker anyone into dating me.  Weddings are an occasion where it is nice to have a date, what with all the dancing and such, so that was a bit of a downer.  On the up side, being that I was dateless, I was assigned to sit at the table of EVIL.  Table 3, home of the miscreants, trouble makers and ne'er-do-wells.  We did not disappoint.

At one point, I was pulled aside to participate for a photo of just the few who had the patience and ability to don our fancy, curled mustaches.  The bride's father informed me that I looked as though I should be holding a rapier in one hand, or sporting a Derringer.  The photo was captured with one shot, with no need for a re-shoot... 'cause that's how we roll.

Everyone seemed to have a fantastic time throughout the night.  There was much laughter, love and frivolity.  I, myself, had a wonderful time with my friends, as well as catching up with old friends whom I have not seen in years.

And, once again, I'd like to wish the bride and groom a lifetime of happiness together.


No comments:

Post a Comment