Monday, March 17, 2014

Narcissism, thy name is blog.

Blogs are, at their core, narcissistic things, this one being no different.  They need an audience, they need readers, they need validation, otherwise, they'd just be journals... tucked away under pillows or resting on writing tables, read only by the person who had set down the words to begin with.  That said, blogs need to be interesting, entertaining, humorous, etc., to gather and keep an audience.  Therein lies my dilemma.

I have a wide variety of interests, but just because I enjoy something, it doesn't mean you... the reader... would be at all interested in reading about it.  So, I've spent a week with my thoughts, wracking my brain for a topic that might fit the bill.  This is why I could never be a professional writer (well, one reason). I would not be able to keep to a deadline, or at the very least, I'd struggle with one.  Luckily, I have not imposed a stringent goal for my blog entries, they shall appear when they appear.

So, for lack of a better idea and for the sake of having written something, I give you... my weekend.

My weekend had a rough start, considering I missed work on Thursday and Friday due to a nasty migraine.  A fierce battle ensued... my weapons being sleep and copious amounts of hot tea, sweetened with raw honey from the Pine Barrens (a gift from a very good friend).  I am  fortunate in that, I don't get them as often as used to, but they do like to rear their ugly heads from time to time.  Unfortunately, when they do crop up, they render me almost completely useless.  I am not a fan.  And, as is par for the course, a persistent, albeit duller headache tends to linger after that migraine has passed.

Saturday was my friend's bachelor party.  Those who arranged everything did a very good job.  The groom isn't much of a drinker, nor was he interested in going to a strip club.  He does, however, have a considerable sweet tooth.  All those invited to attend were asked to bring a dessert of some kind, a table quickly filled up with pies, tarts, cannolis, Irish potatoes, and other tasty treats.  I myself baked chocolate chip cookies and bought a raisin soda bread from McCarthy's Tearoom in Bethlehem. (I was there anyway, as I was picking up loose tea for said groom since it always seems to be out of stock when he makes it into the area.)

The party was held at JT Baker's in Sellersberg, PA, in a private room.  A small group of friends attended, food was eaten, laughs were had, games were played.  A few of the games were Red Dragon Inn, a very fun card game from SlugFest Games (the company happens to be owned by a mutual friend of ours), Cards Against Humanity (another card game, it's like the game Apples to Apples... but very wrong) and Smashup, among others.  A good time was had by all.

Sunday was a lazy day.  I finally got to watch Kickass2 and Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and enjoyed both.  I think I liked Catching Fire more than the first movie, but neither held a candle to their respective books.  No idea how I'll feel about the third movie, considering it was my least favorite book of the three.

Movies watched, restless from all the sleep I had had, and feeling fat from all the eating, I felt the need to get out and do something.  A few weeks ago, my friend took his daughter to go see the Lego Movie.  Ever since, they had been collecting the smaller sets to construct together.  He mentioned to me that he was having a hard time locating a set that his daughter was very interested in.  I made it my mission to track it down, because I seem to have a knack for finding things like that.  Between my leet internet skillz and fancy legwork,  my labors bore fruit.

Everything is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment